Friday, January 21, 2011

IMSTG

Ironman St George

Nothing like a few miles on the IMSTG course to open my eyes to just how hard and unprepared I am. Good thing I have a few months. My 1 hour on the trainer rides are not going to cut it. The hills are tough but I it's the rock chip roads that really suck. Ironman must have said to themselves "lets make the toughest possible race course". I'd say they have succeeded.


Running off the bike on a run course with 3000 feet of gain will be interesting. Look forward to the challenge. 


I tried out some calorie depletion training today. Started on empty and went on 95 calories an hour. My heart rate was too high to run on so few calories. I skipped my short run off the bike in exchange for pounding everything in sight. I've got to get my nutrition down for this race. Can't mess up on this course because it will be tough to get it back.


Around mile 25 I ran into this bridge that came down with the big floods earlier this month. There was an engineer there taking measurements. He showed me how to get around the bridge. I told him that this is part of the Ironman bike course and that the race is the first weekend in May. He gave me a funny look and then said "I think we'll have up by then". My thought at that point was "Sweet" maybe they'll change the course and avoid all these hills!


Fun day, wish I would have had some company though. 60 mile in 3:20 with 3200 feet of gain.

No comments: